Mustang Island and Port Aransas have been the center of maritime and marine industry in the Coastal Bend of Texas since the mid-1800’s. Originally named Ropesville, the abundance of tarpon in the local waters brought about a renaming of the town to Tarpon at the end of the 19th century. A decade later, the locals began calling their village Port Aransas which stuck and is now the official name. Most Texan’s who frequent the area simply call it Port “A”.
With miles of sandy Gulf beaches to the east and bays and wetlands to the west, Port Aransas is a water lover’s nirvana. Fishing in the surf, wade fishing in the flats, kayak fishing from the shore or boating offshore and in the bays are all accessible and offer excellent opportunities to catch quality fish.
With the number of fish species estimated to exceed 600, both commercial and recreational fishing have long been a driving source of industry for Port Aransas. In addition to the throngs of Texan’s flocking to the beaches and fisheries of Mustang Island, countless numbers of rich and famous have explored the island. They have been as varied as President Franklin D, Roosevelt, Duncan Hines of boxed cake mix fame, and Bob Lilly of the Dallas Cowboys.